[meteorite-list] A better link.. Re: Tile Glows

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:57:26 -0400

Wow ! Nice links, James. Still aren't clear what the heat-exposed
surface looks like on a microscopic scale after use, but it certainly
sounds on paper like the tiles are near perfectly resistant/stable. Can
you imagine an artificial bolide made of a sphere of this material?

My favorite size, a basketball sized-sphere of it falling from orbit
would have the following characteristics:

1024 gram mass
59 mph (95 km/h) impact velocity
NOT TOO HOT AND NOT TOO COLD - BUT JUST RIGHT TO TOUCH!
...and apparently no ablation loss!

For comparison, a real inflated basketball, on the other hand would
theoretically be:

650 gram initial mass
47 mph (75 km/h) impact velocity, theoretically: if it could withstand
the atmospheric passage
but you'd end up with an exploded smelly burnt cinder instead that you
wouldn't reallyb want to touch ;-)
...if not complete ablation loss!

This stuff is only 57% heavier than the bulk density of an inflated
basketball! Space Hoops, anyone ... what possibilities!

Best wishes
Doug