[meteorite-list] trips to the Moon (Moon bases and meteoriterecovery)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:35:29 -0400

ET wrote

"Really, don't you collectors find that you want something a great deal
more when you feel that it can't be had?"

What, like smallpox? :)

You're right of course!

"Why not simply bring back or send back from a remote catapult system
canisters to Space shuttles poised for recovery lots and lots of Lunar
rocks? Isn't that where this thread started, with Lunar rocks?"

Right again - all this is way too one-tracked in thought.

BUT,

Why get random Lunar dirt (Which granted is a fantastic thing); but why
go to the surface of the Moon at all for meteorites when such cheaper
options exist. No cannisters or space shuttles (what space shuttles?),
why fight such exscape velocities, why go so far. You want to go the
the nearer Lagrangian Points in plain space between the Earth and Moon.
That is where the most fascinating stuff is to be found, written in
unaltered stone the genesis of the Moon and plenty more debris to keep
scientists and collectors busy and overworked for the nex 10,000 years!
Plus - we (how modest - huh) - haven't been there and done that.
Perfect NASA low budget mission. Everyone is free to submit there
proposals, we going to Vesta, Ceres and Pluto but we just don't seem to
appreciate a visit to the most interesting rocks in our own front yard!

Best wishes
Doug