[meteorite-list] How Do We Name Asteroids?

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:03:44 -0600

Team Meteorite:

Ron Baalke kindly published a list of persons/places that have been
honored by having their names attached to an asteroid. He even has one
named after himself - 6524 Baalke. I was surprised to see asteroids
named after some of my present and worthy friends and colleagues

I can think of many other folks that should have this honor. Richard
Norton (obvious), Darryl Pitt (meteorite photography), Robert Haag
(met marketing), David New (first thin section sales), Ernst Chladni
(first "important" researcher), Gustav Tschermak (microscopic work),
Frederick Leonard (originated forerunner to Met Soc), G. Prior (author
of first Cat of Mets).

I can think of more "nominees" and I doubt we'll run out of asteroids.

I know my mother would be proud if I had one named after me :>)

Can anyone comment on what qualifications are neccesary to achieve this honor?

And I wonder if a person selected for this honor gets his/her choice
of asteroid i.e. carbonaceous, differentiated, etc.?

Kevin Kichinka
MARSROX at gmail.com
www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com
www.LaQ-CostaRica.com