[meteorite-list] OT transpermia vs. God vs. Science

From: James Sleep <jsleep_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:15:44 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com] On Behalf Of
cdtucson at cox.net
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:39 AM
To: Pete Pete; meteoritelist meteoritelist; Rose, David MD
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] OT transpermia vs. God vs. Science

Okay, So how does the lesson change because it was written by somebody else?

Are the facts wrong? Maybe it was written by Joe Blow?
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax
.
Hi all, sorry that my first post to this group is off topic so to
speak....but I had to comment.  I will keep it short and not create a long
drawn-out logical argument.
While there may be one, I don't know a philosophy professor that would claim
cold or darkness is a real, substantive reality. That is philosophy 101..
The claim that evil is a substantive reality is a claim created by religion
and is supported by Christians. In fact they name it and claim they can be
possessed by it. So to Christians evil is a very real and substantial thing.
There is a father of the church (St. Augustine Roman Catholic) who argued
that evil is the absence of God, but that is a position Christians do not
really accept. It is not used as an argument to the problem of evil.
Science does not claim that God does not exist. In fact, science cannot and
does not deal with that question at all as it has no empirical data to work
with.
The word "Faith" is problematic but all it means is if you have faith in
something then you believe that something even though you don't have proof
or evidence of its reality, and/or in spite of proof or evidence against its
reality.
The student asked about thoughts and one's brain and evolution. We can use
evidence in the form of logical, mechanical, and physical data to support
that the teacher has a brain and that thoughts are at least related to
chemical and electrical actions, and that there is plenty of reasons to
believe in evolution. It is all about evidence.
People locked into a religious state of mind are kind of stuck. They cannot
view the world with a clear head. Everything will be seen in light of their
belief system. Not only is it difficult to see beyond their belief system,
there is a warning that they will go to hell if they try. So it is almost
impossible to pull them out. Just look at the Islamic group that ran planes
into the twin towers or the Taliban who blew up the ancient Buddhist statues
in Afghanistan, or even the destruction of the Mayan Codices by Spanish
Monks. Einstein had a terrible problem that shows the difficulty of escaping
a belief system. Despite all his brain power when his notions about God
conflicted with his theory, he gave up his theory. He could not accept the
notion of a probability function.  Probably most of you have heard that
Einstein said something about the idea that God does not throw dice. He was
referring to quantum theory which required a probability function due to the
apparently random quantum flux that occurs at the microcosmic level of the
universe.
I have to address the issue of believing things we don't know. We all do
that. I believe in certain theorems even though I never did the proofs. I
believe certain men of learning and what they say about the universe. I
believe the road will continue on the other side of the hill. Now the
student may say I have faith in them, but I say no. I merely believe them
because they may be wrong............................that is the difference
between faith and belief.
James Sleep