[meteorite-list] Meteorite Cards - changing mass

From: karmaka <karmaka_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 00:01:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi Mike, hi Martin

(quote) "The idea is that if everyone did this, and passed original
dealer/collector cards along, you could establish a *chain-of-custody*.
Chain-of-custody is an important component of provenance. As pieces continue
to be sectioned down or change hands, provenance is more important than
ever. With the influx of new collectors, we all need to set higher standards
so that this precious information gets passed down." (Mike)

(quote) "i do feel it is important to show the chain of
custody of each and every specimen, whether a small micromount or a
museum piece. To me this chain of ownership is important whether you
are a dealer, a big name famous historic collector or a brand new
collector, it makes no difference but just adds to the story of each
specimen. [...]
I like to have as much information as possible on the provenance of
every piece and the chain of ownership as Mike says is a big part of
this. " (Martin)

I fully agree with you on what you said above. I often ask the dealer or collector I bought a meteorite from about the provenance of the material and some have been very helpful, went down the 'archive' and came up with detailed information. Some provided the older meteorite ID cards as well.
I do appreciate that special service very much.
For me it's also one of the reasons to buy from that particular dealer again.
I think a serious collector just has to ask about the provenance of the meteorite material in order to keep the information and pass it on with the meteorite material one day in the future. This is particularly important when you buy 'historic' falls of 'common' or 'ordinary' meteorite types , I think (though of course meteorites are anything but common or ordinary).

It is a good discussion indeed !

Cheers

Martin (another one ;-) )

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----