[meteorite-list] "Classified Photos"

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 17:37:02 GMT

Barrett,

The best way is to have thin sections made of the various types. Simple cut meteorites regardless of classifications often look the same to the untrained eye. But with thin sections the differences become very apparent.

Thin sections are a requirement in the classification of meteorites, and adding microscopic photos of them with a photo of the meteorite mass would be a good publication.

Thin sections can be had for a little as $20 each for lower grade slides. Some meteorite collectors often collect only thin sections as these are much smaller and can be stored easily.

Steve Schoner
http://www.petroslides.com
IMCA 4470 Founding Member Emeritus

Message: 4