[meteorite-list] weight/attractiveness - SCALE

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:49:19 -0800

Hi Paul,
        Traditionally meteorites are sold by the gram or kilo gram
Or even the Lb on eBay, sometimes. However there is nothing
Whatsoever selling based on aesthetics. However, I would NEVER
Purchase any meteorite by photo if there weren't a CM cube or a
Quarter, dime, penny, coke can, SOMETHING to give it a scale
If there were no weight noted. No weight AND no scale comparison -
Hell, you could be buying a .008g micro meteorite!
        However, of course, weight AND scale is desirable for most
Pieces, sometimes a super thin part slice WITH some size scale
Is fine - you are buying it FOR how it looks - what does it mater
What it weighs? You aren't going to cut it up for resale - and even
If you were, the surface area is what "sells" the piece, not the weight.
         Some will agree - some will disagree. But I would rather have
A 40g specimen that looked GREAT in my collection than an 89g
Specimen of the same thing that was notably less attractive.
        Again, with no weight AND no scale = no way.
        Michael

--
"Teachin' a pig to dance is a waste of time and it irritates the pig"
Mark Twain