[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:08:41 -0800 (PST)

These discussions about aesthetics of specimens vs their weight is rather interesting, but it seems the lines of the subject are a bit blurred.

It seems the subject has come to comparing fragments to slices. I'm not sure this is a fair comparison, but I understand it.

I am wondering what others think represents a point of diminishing returns in making a slice paper thin. IOW at what point does cutting losses become too great to make the aesthetic function of the prep & price excessive?

I guess I don't understand the desire for some ultra-thin prepped specimens. For example, if a ultra-thin 1mm thick slice is being sold for the equivalent $80 per gram, and a slice of the exact same material, the exact same size, but 4 times the weight (4mm thick) is being offered at the exact same price, I'd be inclined to purchase the latter.

I understand the appeal of of thinner specimens and of course you can polish a slice so finely it becomes a thin section, but is there some point where the prep becomes so costly that is is in fact "too thin" for the buyer?

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography