[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 05:40:14 GMT

Richard,

In my estimation in making petrographic thin sections, slices that are ultra thin are very difficult to carry on to a true thin section, which is very useful in petrographic studies.

I have done it but it requires many extra steps to prepare thin sections from ultra paper thin slices.

I would say that a slice with a thickness of .025" is about the lowest limit that I can effectively work with. And such thin slices would have to have maximum dimensions of no more than .5" in extent by .025" in thickness.

But it is possible to make thin sections of slices that are smaller than .5" in maximum dimensions if the thickness is less than .025"

The problem with larger paper thin slices is that one has to make one side absolutely flat to make a good petrographic thin section. This becomes ever more difficult as the maximum dimension of the slice increases due to what I call "potato chip" wavy surfaces. Not easy to work with.

Another problem with ultra thin pieces is that the pitting is often so great that the absolutely flat side makes the piece even thinner. And the finished slide often will have holes in it.

Paper thin slices in making thin sections also produces micro-fractures in the minerals due to the cutting process. And the depth of polishing may not remove these fractures.

So for the most part paper thin slices are usually refused by most thin section makers due to these problems.

Most require part slices no thinner than .1"

Steve Schoner
http://www.petroslides.com
IMCA Founding Member Emeritus

Message: 2