[meteorite-list] wire saw cost (Benefits of the wire overblade?)

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 03:57:23 +0100

Michael, Greg, Matt..

Can someone tell me what the advantage of a diamond wire saw is, over
a conventional lap saw blade? I'm curious, because I have never used
a wire saw or seen one in operation.

=======
difference ? None :) Both cut good. hehe ok....

Diamond blades:
+ very low cost
+ You can cut in Your basement
- You must use for most cases water as a coolant
- bigger specimen, need bigger and more thick blade = more cut looses
- its difficult to cut all slices with same thickness, cut slice from
endpiece

Wire saw :
+ You can cut DRY !
+ You can cut very precise, very thin and soft material
+ You can cut large specimens with thin wire
- very expensive (saw, wire and then cutting hour)
- u cant cut by Yourself (for discussion)
- its not *optimal* for cheap material so for most meteorites You can have

I many times asked myself what to do and I send only ONCE specimen for wire
saw and it was D'Orbigny :)

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin(at)polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM: +48 (793) 567667