[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:21:04 -0800

Hi List. Anne brings up an important point, "Be careful out there" and as
history has pointed out (our recent 'hello and welcome home' thread
topic )....(or back when a certain really really large Campo was almost
brought here)....

When I initiated this thread I was simply wondering about Gebel Kamil's TKW;
and now, thank you Jason, I know a bit more about Egyptian perspective.

Yet Anne's advice formulates this new question: should I/we all be
concerned about now owning (or eventually passing along) meteorites with
questionable legal provenence? Does this bring into question the specimens
in my collection for which I am not carrying certain export documentation?
Where/who/when brought SAs into the market, for example...and which ones
were export approved, given changing times and regimes?

When we take it further into the previous "collection card" issue we just
recently discussed, what repurcusions are looming out there? Should we also
have time-sensitive national legal definitions? (I'd hate to lose my large
Camel Dongas, or those of you holding pre-export permission anythings.)

Are posthumus or retrograde export laws possible? Will BLM decide to retro?

No, I'm not really worried, but Greg C.'s initial comment began to make me
wonder. I don't want to own anything deemed illegal.

-Richard Montgomery