[meteorite-list] Nickel found in hematite and magnetite?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:26:32 -0400

Dan.
 thank you for your info but,
There is no way we are talking about the same XRF gun.
Blain's gun does in fact give data in percentages as if the rock was assayed.
I saw it with my own eyes. We did several test samples of real and well known meteorites. During this test we read the digital results directly from the gun itself and then compared the knows with the percentage results from the gun.
We also did irons and the nickel showed in percentages. One guy brought in a mill ball that had NO nickel but known irons showed exactly the known nickel percentages. ie 6% or 12% etc...
In our tests the only real limitation the gun had was the measurement of the lighter elements but only that it did not define and or separate them.
It gave them as a bulk percentage such as ( light elements) LE= 42%-ish.
For that reason It also failed to give Cr which is a real bummer because Cr is a very telling thing in planetary material.
As the moon has way more than earth for example. May be in the order of 100 x .
Yes, You and Blain do need to talk because apparently his $40,000. gun does do a lot more than the one you have.
To be fair. Blains gun has different settings. We used the same setting ( miner ) on the real known meteorites as we used on all of my samples to give us a basis for comparison. Yes, adjustments did have to be made according to Randy Korotev but, once you do the conversion from element to oxide the numbers match up pretty well with the known percentages in the known meteorites that we tested.
I should note that Blain has no intention of classifying meteorites. This is simply a weed to rule strange rocks out. Not to prove they are meteorites. We did end up with a few really good prospects though and this without wasting any scientists valuable time.
Here is a list of the samples we tested for use in comparisons.;
NWA 4857 MARS
NWA 6355 LUNAR
NWA 4734 LUNAR
NWA 480 MARS
Again, We zapped the above meteorites with Blain's gun and then compared the percentages with the known published percentages and they were a very close match once we converted the elements to oxides . Which is how they are published in the bulletin.
So, I hope you and Blain do get together. It is hard to believe these match by coincidence alone?
For those of you who may not know Blain. Blain Reed Meteorites is a major meteorite dealer.
Thanks,
Carl

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza