[meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones? ( AD ++ )

From: BRIAN SCHROEDER <brian_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:18:37 -0800

Hello Keith and List
" Info on Polishing Cut Stones ? "
I have read over a few of the replies and the "Poor Man" options given.. HMMM.
I suggest you may contact your local Gem & Mineral Club or Lapidary
Club ( if you are Lucky enough to have one ) and get them to help you out.
I cut Professionally for a living , and Sand Paper and Crocus Cloth
are effective means of Polishing Minerals but only go so far in
achieving those Glassy Finishes you want.

Further BELOW is an outline for Cutting / Polishing Flat and Angular
Surfaces. BUT First.....

RECOMMENDATIONS :
Send your material to me , and I will Cut, Facet, Cabochon, or Carve
your materials for you at a Minimal Cost and return them to you.
I cut for many individual and commercial clients,
Internationally, and have excellent references. ( Mr. Reynolds ? )
Tektites in all forms are my specialty, BUT anything can be cut as
long as it is Structurally Sound. See
Link http://www.tektites.co.uk/SchroederB.html
Contact me to arrange a Trial Facet Job, at a very Low Cost compared
to having your materials Cut by Local Gem Cutters. Any and all
Inquiries welcome.
Contact me directly if you are interested. brian at aajewel.com
*****
BOOKS - I recommend only one Author.. " John Sinkankas " who has
books called " Gem Cutting " and " Gem Cutting - Second Addition "
Both of these are Published by the " Van Nostrand Reinhold Company "
http://www.cuttingrocks.com/gallery_booksh1.shtml

*************
BELOW is an outline for Cutting / Polishing Flat and Angular Surfaces.

That Final Polish Sheen you want is not that easy to obtain at times
, and depends mainly on the material you are Polishing as well as
Many other Factors.. So those CheapO Practice Pieces may not polish
the same as the next material you try your techniques on..

Diamond Powder is my first choice for any final polish , and can be
obtained in a variety of sizes from Lapidary or Hobby shops, or
Online, depending on where you live/ The designation of the Diamond
Powder sizing varies. 3 Micron Diamond Powder is a Good Final Polish Size..
See my friend Lat , as we do a pictorial on the process , using some
basic equipment.
http://aajewel.com/Facet_services/FACETING_PROCESS.html

*** My Primary Polishing Preparation Technique for beginners.
- Rough cut materials with a Diamond Blade
- Rough polish with an 800 Grit Diamond Wheel if shaping is required
OR for a Flat Surface, use the side of a # 400 Corundum Grinding
wheel ( Laying on it's side on your work area / NOT UNDER MACHINE
POWER EVER ) moistened with Mineral Oil , and polish in a Figure 8
Motion to avoid creating more Straight Scratches.
- Get a Solid, Flat Surface ( Marble , Glass, Metal , whatever ) and
lay your Abrasive Material on the Flat Surface. Using Sand Paper or
Crocus Cloth( Best ) and Mineral Oil ( Dilute with Alcohol if
necessary ) , work your way through the Various Grits.. 400, 800,
1200, 1500 , always using a Figure 8 Motion, and Rotate the hold on
the piece often to polish from all angles, avoid any straight
movements and scratching. Clean the Mineral often and between
different stages of Abrasives used..

POLISHING: the tricks...
- Cerium Oxide, Tin Oxide, Diamond Powder, all will obtain the same
effect most of the time.. Diamond is always the Best and Fastest.. (
5 Micron followed by a 3 Micron Final Polish )
- Experiment .... I have found that Plain , Dry Banana Leaves are an
excellent way to Polish Chrysocolla to a Mirror Shine..( Off Topic )
- Mix the Polishing Powder you have decided on with Lithium
Grease..and make a nice little Nickel Sized Test Batch.. Clear or
White colored Grease works best , and you can keep track of the color
your polishing materials are becoming. Change when this turns Black.
- Coat a small piece of Raw Hide, Leather, Wax Paper, Hard Sponge
Rubber, you get the idea, with a small amount of the Compound you
have decided to try , lay that on your Flat Surface , and apply your
Meteorite, start the Polishing 8 Motion again..
- A mechanical means of holding your material may be wanted.. I use
Raw Shellac stuck to a simple Rod, which can be heated and shaped to
fit the Work Piece. And can be removed with a bit of heat when polish
process is completed. Super Glue also works , and can be removed from
the Rod by simply placing in a freezer for a few hours and popping
the material off the Rod..Then clean the Gem in Acetone or Ketones (
use Caution )...
- You can also apply the Grease Polishing Compound directly to a
Copper Plate , Iron Plate ( an old Transmission Pressure Plate ?? )
and use this as your Polishing Surface. NOTE : Use only one Abrasive
size on a Single Plate, two(2) Grits ( #5 & #3 Grits ) require two(2)
Plates, One(1) each.
- Using an old Bearing or Hardened material to PUSH the Diamond
Powder Mixture into the Metal Surface will help immensely. Clean
with Alcohol and Cotton between uses.
- A Ceramic Tile, can also be used, it contains a Natural Abrasive,
so just apply Oil to the Top Surface and test this with the material
you are working with, using Figure 8. Ceramic Tiles come in Various
Finishes / Grits, not all Polish the same.. Try an Outdoor Tile
compared to an Indoor Tile.
- Never use water... Mineral Oil or other Mediums work well and can
be diluted with Alcohol if needed.

IDEAS :
- use a Vibrating Sander , and cut your Leather pieces or whatever
you choose, to fit the Sander. Hold Sander , Cutting Face UP , in a
Vice with Wood Blocks to hold it securely.. and Polish using Figure
8 Motion on Vibrating Surface.
- Use WD40 , Alcohol or similar Medium, to apply a bit of moisture
when polishing to clean and keep the cutting area moist.
- Get an Old Transmission Clutch Plate, still mounted on the Original
Shaft, Mount this in Pillow Block Bearings attached to a Sturdy work
bench, and power this with a Fan Belt and a Electric Motor with a
Variable Speed Rheostat to control your speed. Some Safety Guards and
Rests for your arm or polishing rods, and you are in business. OR
check out Lortone if you want some ideas or have the $$ for some
Store bought but not necessarily better equipment..

Send any questions you may have directly to me , to avoid clutter on the List..
Highest Regards

Brian Schroeder
IMCA # 7381

brian at aajewel.com

http://stores.ebay.ca/AAJEWELCOM

http://aajewel.com/Facet_services/facet_services_home.html
http://aajewel.com/Contact_Us/index.php

At 02:15 AM 3/17/2011, you wrote:
>From: Keith Wandry <keith at lobstershack.com>
>Subject: [meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones?
>
>Are there any reference books or online sources for information on
>polishing cut pieces?
>I have some cheap pieces to practice on and am interested in knowing
>what to use and how some pieces I've seen have a sheen that almost
>looks like a clear coat on it.
>Pros? Cons? Etc...
>
>Thanks for an enlightenment!
>Keith
>
>Keith Wandry
>keith at lobstershack.com

This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may
contain information that is confidential and prohibited from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, Please delete
this message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify me. Let's
keep the Internet Safe and Fun.