[meteorite-list] American Meteorite Museum and Quiz

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:23:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul.

>From what I can tell the crash actually happened in 1964. Here is a report of the accident:

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=69872

I haven't noticed it on my visits, but supposedly part of the tail is still in the crater somewhere.

The actual NSTB report is much more dry and succinct:
http://www3.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=79450&key=0

A MUCH more detailed and interesting account of the event can be found in Jim Tobin's "Fragments", including pictures(!), in the September 2008 Meteorite Times

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2008/september/Jims_Fragments.htm

I would assume that the majority of the airframe was either airlifted out, or packed out in pieces. Maybe Jim can tell us more about the final disposition.

Nice pics BTW.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography