[meteorite-list] wondering about Shingle Springs, CA

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:54:03 -0700

Hello List,

As some (perhaps many) of us know, there is an eBay listing closing soon,
with no bids, of a 4-lb. Shingle Springs "iron" find (highly suspect to me
but worth asking about) where the seller displays a hand-written % elemental
content from Blain's gun...

Shingle Springs, CA was an ataxite ~89%NiFe, dated find somewhere in the
late 1800s, and this "read-out" is sort-of in that range, but the pictures
look nothing like an ataxite, since it shows structure.

...Which brings me to my question: Blaine, do you recognize this specimen
from this year's Tucson, since the seller quotes you? And if so, is the
hand written note your handwriting?

Shingle Springs is just up the hill from me, and highly wooded, impossible
to find anything except top-shelf porchini, chanterelles, morels, and right
now a bunch of snow.

Crucial to keep the integrity in tact.

-Richard Montgomery