[meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:38:08 -0600

I think most large fireballs do not produce meteorites. Most meteorites are
the product of rather ordinary meteors, which survive because they are slow
and shallow and slow down while still very high, don't fragment, and produce
single individuals. Of course, the vast majority of these are never found,
and those that are have no associated fireball. When there are big
fireballs- the sort that get meteorite hunters salivating- the situation is
different. Most big fireballs probably don't produce meteorites. Those that
do, however, do so because they start off with enough mass that they can
afford to lose 95% of it and still have something get low enough to hit
dense air at a low enough speed to avoid complete destruction. That height
is below about 30 km, which happens to be about the height where sonic booms
can be produced and reach the ground. So the presence of a sonic boom with a
fireball is a useful indicator that meteorites might be produced. The
absence of one, however, probably shouldn't be taken as an indicator that
they were not, since a meteor can still end (without complete ablation) high
enough that no sonic boom will reach the ground.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com