[meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom

From: David Norton <renov8hotels_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 05:26:41 -0700

Good morning. Sonic booms are formed by shock wave created by the rapid
displacement of air. The change in air pressure required to generate the
shock wave is only a few pounds per SF. There is a wave generated on the
front and at the back of a moving object. The size of the waves are
determined by the size, shape and mass of the object.

The ability to hear sonic booms are influenced by several factors besides
the weight, shape and size of the moving object. Altitude, flight path and
weather will influence the ability to actually hear the sonic boom on the
ground. Altitude influences the distance the shock wave have to travel
before hitting the ground. The wave dissipates with distance. This is
probably the single biggest influence on the ability to hear the sonic boom.
Wind can affect the shock wave as can the terrain on the earth underneath
the flight of an object. Flight path can affect the wave. A straight path
will generate a stronger wave than an irregular path. A meteor breaking up
will have a more irregular path.

The width of the wave for an aircraft is about 1 mile per 1000 feet of
altitude. The wave is strongest directly below the object and weakest on the
perimeter of the wave.

The speed of sound as mentioned is a number that is for sea level.
Differences in atmospheric conditions will allow for variances in the speed
of sound.