[meteorite-list] Color of OC's by Staining or by Trace Elements

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:30:42 -0400

Laurence,
I have a question.
You said;
"Shocked meteorites can be black. A great comparison is between the two know
chassignites - Chassigny and NWA2737, both of which have similar mineralogies.
Fresh Chassigny is yellowish green - the color is caused by Fe2+ in the olivine.
Yet, NWA2737 is black. The black color is caused by abundant 5 to 15
nanometer-sized iron-nickel droplets in the olivine, which are strongly
absorbing in the visible and near-IR region of the spectrum. These droplets are
formed during intense shock events."

I googled this subject and found that the only time this was the case so far is in this exact Martian meteorite.
I can find no other reference where an Olivine is visually black in color.
So, does this mean that black olivine is definitive of meteoritic olivine?
I mean if you find a black rock ( dunite) that you suspect is a meteorite , and a PTS or microprobe reveals it to in fact be olivine. Does this mean it is a meteorite?
What seems equally as amazing is that this is the only olivine ever verified that is black including all of the ones from earth.
This NWA 2737 truly is beautiful. Carine and Bruno still had some left at the recent Tucson show. I have seen and held it many times. It is solid black.
Thanks,
Carl

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza