[meteorite-list] A New Nearby Oddball Planet

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 12:10:16 -0400

Sterling,
I was throwing out a guess based on what people have found and was later determined to be meteor wrongs based on the fact that they did not jive with other metal meteorites found previously.
In other words; Maybe, just maybe . Not all metal meteorites have to be mostly iron. ' I have heard that platinum came from space and it can be found as single nuggets without other silicate material attached to it.
If we have anything to learn from this new heavy planet is that maybe planets can have heavier cores than Earth and iron meteorites.
Maybe some of this oddly heavy material has been blasted off and ends up as meteors and then meteorites?
We have seen hundreds of nearly pure manganese type conglomerates laying around on desert pavements as well as on our ocean floors.
These have been determined to not be the same so the ones in deserts could be actual low iron meteorites. Perhaps knocked off of this new planet.
Brownleeite ( manganese) was discovered as quite a surprise whereas had this discovery had been Fe Ni metal nobody would have been surprised. So, maybe this surprise is telling us something? Maybe it is telling us that other elements are out there and perhaps this is our chance to begin to recognize some of them.
Another amazing chunk of metal looking meteorite (wrong) turned out to be primarily Bornite. Bornite with beautiful regmaglypts and a perfect shape for an iron meteorite. And lets not forget the NJ fall through a roof that was deemed space junk but never was actually anylized as such. Nobody knows exactly where it did come from to this day. Just a few guesses.
maybe now that we know heavy stuff is out there we can begin to look for heavier meteorites that are not mostly that light weight stuff we call iron?
Geoff had an iron meteorite that seemed to be an obvious meteorite that later turned out to be wrong. Maybe Geoff was right after all? Maybe it came from this heavy planet?
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax