[meteorite-list] Mifflin, WHAT is Amiss

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:14:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 5/8/11, Michael Blood <mlblood at cox.net> wrote:

> By a photo in situ next to a GPS unit. Well, that is not
> how
> All hunters process finds. One should not be REQUIRED to
> Purchase a GPS unit and digital camera to find meteorites.
> ? ? ? ???AND it is
> unreasonable to expect
> Someone to PROVE innocence. Prove guilt if that is your
> Thing, but asking someone to prove they are innocent is
> Not how we do things in the ol' U S of A.
> ? ? ? ? Michael

Just reading through this thread with sadness, disappointment and concern. No Mifflin here and no plans to own any, but this is a problem for all.

I do have to respond to Micheal's post here. While I agree that you shouldn't have to prove your innocence in a court of law, you still have to defend yourself if accused.

Since for many hunters this is a business, being able to prove you got a stone from a specific location doesn't just make sense, in this day and age, it is a requirement.

Digital cameras are in every cell phone made now. Cheap GPS units can be found new for as little as $50. I find it unbelievable that anyone seriously hunting a new fall wouldn't record their finds in this manner. I find it had to believe that even casual hunters wouldn't make this investment.

Falls hold little interest for me at this time, but as far as I'm concerned any meteorite claimed to be from a certain fall, without photographic proof of it's location where it fell, including a photo of the GPS coordinates and stone in the pic, is not worth 1/10th the price of documented stones.

If you don't want to record this info, that's fine, but you shouldn't expect anywhere near the same price for properly documented stones.

A local dealer told me his Japanese customers like seeing photos of him in the field with the stone as proof he actually hunters and recovers them. Maybe that is the standard all fall chasers need to aspire too... And all fall collectors should require.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography