[meteorite-list] Pro's & Con's of Meteorites

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:03:45 -0400

Dear Members of the MetList and IMCA:

Over the last month or so there have been quite a few different concerns
brought up on these two forums and others. I would like to make a few
generalized comments touching base on a few of them. It appears that
desperate times will spawn desperate acts by a small number who affect us
all.

PRO-fessional or CON-artist? This seems to be the common theme of these
topics.

* There has been recent concerns about 'Bait-n-Switch' fraud concerning a
recent fall.
* There have been notices of outright theft.
* There have been discussions of not disclosing certain conditions of
specimens for sale.
* There have been discussions of false promises, lead-ons, etc.
* There has been talk of extremely poor reporting.

If a particular individual or organization has a history of official or
casual complaints, you need to ask yourself, "Is this person or company
purposely committing fraud, a scam, or are they just plain incompetent at
conducting business?"

Coat-tailing classified meteorites is a crime! We are often 'told' some
stones are guaranteed paired to "NWA xxxx" or "Mifflin" or what have you,
when in fact, some times they are not. Dealers who take the cheap and lazy
route are cheating their customers and undermining the confidence of
collectors, and in fact, lose sales in the long run. Even the most
experienced dealers are taken victim to this form of crime, some willingly,
some not.

On the flip side to collecting and dealing, there are a very small number of
scientists who refuse to change classifications when proven different beyond
a shadow of doubt by science and their peers. To me, this is one of the
worst crimes to science and collectors alike. Is it arrogance?

Reporters commit crimes against our avocation as discussed in great detail
lately, no need to comment further now. Seems there are a few who just want
self-glory and recognition.

Some people treat these subjects as 'taboo' and stick their heads in the
sand or try to silence those who speak out, to keep the 'peace'. There is no
peace when being wronged!

Call your trusted friends, ask around, ask for references. People will tell
you what they know. In turn, they will talk to their friends, and so on...
until the full circle of our small world communicates with each other to
expose the culprits.

Certain people and organizations need to take a long look in the mirror
before they decide to cheat another person. Some are known, others will
sooner or later be exposed by their greed, arrogance or reckless
incompetence.

Would you prefer to work with a PRO-fessional or a CON-artist? I use the
term, "Prefessional" in a generalized manner, not referring to being paid or
not.

These are just a few of my thoughts lately, they are not meant to start a
mud slinging contest, only to open the eyes of those who do not know or care
to know. These are some of the disappointments of the world of meteoritics.
Not all avocations are perfect and without scammers, but at least in our
very small world, we can point out the less desirables and oust them sooner
than later.

Best Regards,
Greg Hup?

Greg Hup?