[meteorite-list] Pro's & Con's of Meteorites

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:43:33 -0400

Well said Greg. I don't think any rational person can argue what you just said.

You used a word "prefessional". I think it was a typo, but it
actually fits some dealers in some circumstances.

Not all of us have the financial means or the physical opportunities
to travel the world and do hunting work in the field. I am one of
those people. If I had the means and if my wife and I didn't have
major medical issues, I would one of those brave souls who combs the
deserts looking for meteorites. I envy and respect those who can. I
think the word "prefessional" applies to myself and some others. We
aspire to be professional, but lack the necessary means to fully
engage in the field of meteorites. So, we hunt and live vicariously
through the true professionals that can. But, because we don't go out
in the field, doesn't mean buyers should be suspect of us or our
specimens.

My file is full of specimen cards with names like Hupe, Farmer, and
others on them. In fact, I think I have more Hupe specimen cards than
all other cards combined. Some were bought directly from Adam and
Greg - others were bought secondhand from the original buyers. In
those latter cases, I take every precaution to make sure that the
person I am buying from is honest and honorable. If there is any
appearance of a doubt, I pass.

Don't get me wrong - I have taken issue with the IMCA over some
things. But I still find myself grateful that such an organization
exists and is populated mostly by honorable professionals. My point
is, membership in such an organization is not infallible proof that
specimens from a member are 100% genuine and as-described. Likewise,
non-membership in such an organization is not proof positive that
specimens from that non-member cannot be trusted.

No group is perfect - political, law enforcement, or otherwise. It is
how that group polices itself and enforces it's own rules that is
important. I also think that transparency is important when it comes
to groups that position themselves into a place of authority over
others. As Dirk Ross said earlier, if I was a member of the IMCA, I
would have serious misgivings about the apparent lack of transparency
in regards to blacklists, financial statements, etc.

But, I do not render judgement on the group as a whole because of
this. Some of my most trusted sources are IMCA members. Some of my
best friends in the meteorite world are IMCA members. Likewise, the
reverse can be said - I know some very honorable people who are not
members of that group. In my mind, this issue of bogus Mifflin stones
and misrepresented meteorites is not an IMCA issue - it is an issue
for ALL members of the meteorite community - collectors, dealers,
scientists, and institutions. Fraud effects us all and tarnishes all
of our reputations - just like that horrid excuse for journalism in
the NY Times.

If we don't want a bunch of government bureaucrats to step in and
regulate our hobby, then we need to do a better job of policing
ourselves and holding fraudsters accountable. This means outing them
in public and letting everyone know who the bad actors are. If
someone is mistakenly labeled as "blacklisted" and they turn out to be
honorable, then we should also admit our errors in public and make
things right. No process is perfect, but failing to strive for
anything less than perfection is dereliction of duty in a field such
as meteorites.

Best regards from the peanut gallery,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com