[meteorite-list] Rely on maps and weather conditions and local info, not always on GPS short routes

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:33:57 -0500

hi folks,

I thought I'd post this story about a Canadian woman who was recently found
by hunters on their snow mobiles who were themselves lost in the rough and
treacherous mountains of Northern Nevada and her husband hasn't been found
yet. They asked for the shortest route to Las Vegas from Canada and wound up
in mountains they shouldn't have been in, since many people are out hiking
or looking for rocks and meteorites out in the dry salt flats or dry lake
beds and mountains. Just be careful, I know the majority of you are and you
are smart, but some people new to the hobbies are relying too much on GPS
gadgets that will get you lost and possibly worse if you don?t also use maps
and local info. There was the story a few months ago about the woman who
lived, but her 6 year old son died in Death Valley after using GPS to find
the shortest route through Death Valley and used service roads and old
mining roads and dirt trails and the dead bodies of a couple who were found
recently who used used GPS back in 2009 in Death Valley and were lost and
never found until searches found them almost 2 years later. Don't rely just
on GPS, use the old fashioned way, A Map, that has updated road info and
check weather conditions. I have used GPS and if you put in shortest route
it will take you places you don't belong.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20110511/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_brief_missing_canadian_couple

All the best and happy hunting.

Brian Cox