[meteorite-list] Visibility of Sputnik

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:09:54 -0700

Hi Pete,

Just a small correction to your story:

> When Sputnik was launched the news told the time and where
> to look, so I went outside and saw it as it passed from left
> to right in the night sky like a blinking star.

A lot of people believe they saw Sputnik, when actually hardly
anyone did. What they saw was the (much larger and brighter)
rocket body that launched it. Sputnik was typically about a 5th
or 6th magnitude object; even from rural skies, this is a
challenge for someone who knows exactly where to look. On a
particularly favorable pass (when Sputnik was near perigee) it
might have gotten as bright as 4th mag. From any urban area it
would have been impossible without binoculars.

However, since you mention it was flashing, it removes any
doubt that you actually observed Sputnik's rocket body (which
was around 2nd magnitude -- as bright as the North Star).
Sputnik itself was spherical, so it did not flash.

Cheers,
Rob