[meteorite-list] ASU's Arizona Meteorite Display

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 19:35:53 -0400

Hi Jim and all,

The February 2010 Meteorite Magazine has my ASU article in it with pictures
of a number of the specimens in the collection. I'd recommend you check that
out if you subscribe to Meteorite Magazine.
If not you can buy a back issue from them.

The interesting thing about the ASU Collection is that it is a good portion
of the Nininger Collection that was sold to them by the Niningers. Harvey
Nininger felt a decent collection was needed out west for people to visit
and was reasonably close to the Meteor Crater (same state). Researchers have
the opportunity to visit both sites without having to travel across the
county.

Carleton Moore was the first curator of the collection before he retired. He
is still important to assisting with the collection. Carleton built the
collection up by adding the Foote Collection later on and adding to it by
trades over the many years he took care of it, making it one of the largest
collections in the world. He also did the first serious modern research on
the collection adding no doubt to our understanding of meteorites and our
solar system.

Anyone thanking about visiting the collection should do so.

--AL Mitterling