[meteorite-list] non-magnetic meteorites?

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:41:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

It's commonly understood that all meteorites are magnetic to varying
degrees, or so I've read. I'm wondering if there are any exceptions to
that iron clad rule of thumb?

I've a non-magnetic mineral specimen with a black crust and what appear
to be some sort of orientation striations.

The specific gravity of this specimen is lower than the range of values
usually associated with most meteorites.

Prolly a meteorwrong, I realize, but causes me to pause and wonder if
it's within the realm of remote possibility that there are such animals
as non-magnetic meteorites?

Thanks for your indulgence in helping diminish a wealth of personal
ignorance in the somewhat occasional arcane field of meteorite
identification.

All good regards,

David Gunning