[meteorite-list] Lovina: most likely not a meteorite

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 00:53:34 -0400

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, Count, but in truth they are undeserved; Lovina was determined to be a meteorite at the time of my acquisition, and I merely facilitated further analysis once a question was raised. Had Lovina not been included in the Meteoritical Bulletin, I can't say I would have acquired it.

Let's also put this context, please recall Lovina's elemental signature---the elements and the proper elemental ratios---points to extraterrestrial origin. One esteemed researcher likened the odds of a terrestrial object matching a meteorite's highly specific signature as closely as Lovina's does to be akin of winning a very large lotto prize---which is to say "extremely unlikely." (Lovina may be the closest thing to a meteorite on Earth.)

As it regards the comment concerning the ziggurat structures: yes, it's the presence of tetrataenite, a high nickel content and the object being in solution for hundreds of years---if not more---which is responsible for these unique structures.

As it regards the comment regarding the roller coaster: I assure you I can relate....and in an effort to preserve what little is left of my sanity, I need to hop off. ;-)

All the best / Darryl