[meteorite-list] No Meteorites on display!!!!

From: David Pensenstadler <dfpens01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 17:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

Sterling and all:

I live in Pittsburgh and can attest to the beauty of the Carnegie Museum, particularly the newly designed Dino exhibit.

"The Carnegie Natural History Museum is dinosaur-
oriented; it has the world's largest collection of
Jurassic dinosaur fossils. The display issue is acute;
the Museum has 21,000,000 specimens of which only
10,000 can be exhibited at one time."

I would like to point out to anyone who might take in the Dinosaur exhibit, that there is a fossilized tree, newly named Xenozylon, on display in the Hall that I helped to prep and bring back from southeast Utah in 1999. This is a beautiful specimen from the Jurassic period, weighing about 1300 lbs. I also have casts of sauropod footprints that we dug up in Utah in 2003. The museum also has a number of latex casts that we made of a number of footprints dug up there.

The meteorite exhibit is also very nice although I haven't seen it in a few years. The Mineral Hall was closed the last few times that I visited. I believe that they may have pieces of all 8 PA meteorites but can't be sure - memory starting to go.

Dave