[meteorite-list] Magnetism

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:56:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pete

Unfortunately, you can't think of magnetism as just a whole bunch of
physical atom-sized magnets aligning to explain everything, without
taking into consideration the wave equation for the electrons;
translated: whoever said that a crystal structure of two ferromagnetic
metals would prevent it from acting as a magnet is wrong. As a matter
of fact it is the reverse: the (imperfect) crystal structure for
meteorites and crystal structure in general is precisely what enables
the permanent magnetism.

The fact that meteorites become magnetized is advantageous to certain
studies as you can tell something about the magnetic fields they have
been exposed to in the past with the residual magnetism they retain.

This is why it is sometimes frowned upon to put powerful magnets
against meteorites such as the ones at the end of a meteorite hunting
cane or even to hold them on "antigravity" display stands. Because
they erase the slightly perceivable net magnetic moment and
distribution just like sticking your credit card in a nuclear magnetic
resonance machine. That was the history since the beginning of the
solar system or something thereabouts, wiped in a flash.

Whatever you do, don't bring your meteorites into an NMR chamber unless
they are bolted down. Because they will shoot right out of your pants
and might do some damage where it hurts - and remain quite magnetized.

Ask yourself: Is it possible for a permanent magnet material like iron
or nickel to be attracted to a magnet, but at the same time not to be
magnetized, providing it has an imperfect structure, like just about
everything in nature?

Kindest wishes
Doug