[meteorite-list] Smoke Trails

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 02:14:47 -0400 (EDT)

You'd have to look at the specific case and if what you say is
generally true, here's a few ideas to kick around:

Wind speed. Planes fly up to about 10 km for a reason; above that wind
speeds can easily triple. Bolides leave smoke trails starting around
70 km altitude downward. Above 70 km or so it is mainly incandescence
(a photo-electric process which quenches itself quicker, like lightning
but is a bit more persistent due to the higher altitude reducing the
quenching rate since the mean free path is longer.

Particle (size, density, phase). If the result of fuel combustion is
light, fine soot and gases and that of a meteor a larger particulate
mixture with denser individuals ...

Altitude (atmospheric density). Less air = less suspension effects.
An object falls faster at higher altitude by a factor of
sqrt[(do-da)/da)] where do is the density of the object and da is the
density of the air. That's basically sqrt(do/da). So, if the
atmosphere is 100x denser at 10 km than it is at 50 km, it will fall
sqrt(100) = 10 X times faster. Not a good idea to skydive that high!

Kindest wishes
Doug