[meteorite-list] Smoke Trails

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 09:02:43 -0600

Sterling-

I don't think a contrail is gaseous at all. Sure, there are gaseous
components, but we don't see those. The visible manifestation that we
call a contrail is made of of water droplets condensed on soot
particles. No gas involved.

In the case of a meteor trail, there is also a lot of gas involved
(which we see only when it is ionized). But again, the visible
manifestation of a smoke trail is particulate, just like a contrail. The
primary difference is that smoke isn't volatile, whereas water droplets are.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com