[meteorite-list] NASA Captures New Images of Large Asteroid Passing Earth (2005 YU55)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 00:43:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi Benjamin, List

Arecibo might do a better job if anyone can afford to point it anymore
and its mountings aren't rusted out yet.

Looks like Hubble can track or otherwise compose decent optical (or UV)
images for a close object. I started to Google what Hubble's tracking
limitations were and see there are some great images of the Moon at
least (lower right):

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/136335main_image3_lg.jpg

Also ran accross this which may not have made the list before; it is a
Hubble image of a vaporized asteroid stream after an asteroid collision
last year. Even if it was already posted, I though it would be nice to
see if there are others who hadn't seen it (go to the last pages of
this pdf to find the illustrations):

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1010/1010.2575v1.pdf

Kindest wishes
Doug