[meteorite-list] Remember this common find?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:26:02 -0500

Hi Dick and List,

Conception Junction is a spectacular pallasite find and everyone
involved with the find should feel a well-deserved sense of
accomplishment.

But, I cringe every time I see an article like this.

Worth $3.4 million dollars? Really? To whom? Something is worth
what someone will pay for it. In the history of meteorites, how many
specimens have sold for millions of dollars? To my knowledge - none.

Carelessly throwing around cash numbers like this is irresponsible at
best and damages the entire meteorite community by unrealistically
raising expectations amongst lay people who are not knowledgeable
about the meteorite market.

Every article like this creates scammers intent on making a quick buck
from slags, landowners wanting astronomical sums for common
chondrites, and draws unwanted attention from legislative authorities
who might feel tempted to interfere with meteorite market via taxation
or regulation.

I expected better from Space.com.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com