[meteorite-list] Mis-Conception Junction

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:41:24 -0500

Michael & All,

As indicated before, we're as disappointed in the sensationalism that hit
the wire with this article as anyone, as if any of us knew about it prior,
it obviously could have been prevented.

Diana Lutz, the WUSTL writer of the first article that started the mess,
however, actually wrote a nice article for the most part. I've spoken with
her at length, and she not only corrected the gross error in value -- she
deleted value references entirely, which is quite uncommon in journalism
today. Her mistake, which jumps off the screen at those of us in the
meteorite community who are familiar with meteorite values, was an honest
miscalculation on her part, and she feels badly about it. So at the end of
the day, her work is probably undeserving of the descriptive "bunk"
(although I do share your frustration, Michael). Her revised article
follows:

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/22942.aspx

I should also note again that none of this was Dr. Korotev's fault. He gave
a great interview, and there was simply a disconnect in their discussion of
value...nothing more.

Some of the stories that followed when Diana's article was picked up have
also been corrected or at least modified, although it's frustrating to watch
reporters simply refuse to get away from the notion of "heavenly values" and
that sort of BS (which was obviously the reason most of them ran the story
in the first place, which is a shame). Anyway, we've worked hard to stop
everything that we could, but I'm afraid the mess will never be swept up
entirely.

Best wishes for a great weekend to all,

Dave
www.fallingrocks.com