[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hammer Time - You Pick the Target!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:59:26 -0500

Hi Gang,

I appreciate the comments and advice about caution when getting on the
roof. I've done roofing work (when I was much younger and braver),
and I get on roof occasionally to cut back overhanging limbs of a big
oak we have right behind the house.

But, the only suitable place to do this crazy experiment is a patch of
yard, behind the house, privacy fenced off from the world - so my
neighbors won't think I've lost my mind when they see me throwing
rocks off the roof. The area of roof near that target patch of yard
has a steep pitch and I'm not comfortable about trying this on that
precarious part of the roof. So, I will not get on the roof.

All of the target suggestions I am getting are being noted and taken
into consideration. I've heard a couple of good ones and I will
announce what the official target(s) may be. :)

One last thought, on a more serious note - I always have the deepest
respect for the special nature and meaning of meteorites. We are only
temporary caretakers on their unthinkably-long voyage through space
and time. They have moved through the cold vacuum of space for
billions of years and have experienced violent collisions. There is
no amount of abuse or shock I can put this meteorite through that it
hasn't experienced before. And science isn't being hurt if one of
probably 50,000 unclassified weathered H5 stones is hurled at a cake
or globe, or whatever.

I have been keeping copies of all the items being nominated and will
be selecting one or more objects for destruction very soon. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com