[meteorite-list] Meteorite?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:17:15 -0500

Hi Doug,

What is the average density of angrites? I know acapulcoites are much
more dense than this specimens, but angrites tend to be a little less
dense if I recall correctly. I don't remember the exact number though
and can't find it readily.

I've seen a few bizarre wrongs in my time. I also had a black
unclassified stone that was almost definitely a meteorite, but had a
similar-looking matrix - very black with metal flecks. It also had a
black exterior - desert varnished and wind polished, but you could
tell the original coloration of the entire stone was black (not just
the crust). I sliced that one up and sold it, and now I wish I had
kept it for classification.

I have a few wrongs right now that are dead-ringers for wind-polished
H-type chondrites, but they have no metal in the matrix, the density
is wrong, and they bleed red when cut - likely hematite.

Do you have a link to an exterior shot of the wrong you posted, or did
I overlook it?

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com