[meteorite-list] Meteorite?

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:12:10 -0600

I measure the specific gravity of most of the rocks that people send
me. The book values for the SG of hematite and magnetite are in the
5.1-5.3 range. I get a lot of hematite and magnetite rich rocks, and
SG's range from 3 to 5. The low ones are usually from rocks with
quartz sand cemented by a lot of hematite or, perhaps better,
hematite diluted with quartz sand.

I also get a lot of rocks that are claimed to contain metal but all I
can see are shiny mica flakes and grains of pyrite or arsenopyrite
that look like metal but aren't. As I say on this page, a good test
is to look at the grains after sawing and see if you can see the saw marks.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/ordinary_chondrites.htm

If you can't, it's probably not FeNi metal. I'd like to see the sawn
face of the stone in those photos up close.

Ordinary chondrites break apart from weathering in nature because the
metal rusts, causing a volume expansion (like rust blisters under
automobile paint) that fractures the rock making it easier for water
to get in, etc.. That's the only environment I'd expect to see a lot
of hematite together with metal. The rock in the photos doesn't seem
fractured.

Randy Korotev