[meteorite-list] "Undocumented" meteorite in the Met Bulletin

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Michael and All,

Chlumec is not an undocumented meteorite.

In the MetBull Database entry for Chlumec (that you referenced in your original message), if you scroll down to "References" and click on
"Find references in NASA ADS:"
http://tinyurl.com/Chlumec
You will find 3 references (all in Meteoritics 1994) which clearly shows this meteorite to be very well-described, including good recovery data.

The real puzzle is: 'Why is Chlumec "NOT an official name"?'
One reason may be contained in one of the 3 references (shown below).
It appears (in the abstract below) that in the very last sentence, the very last phrase is "terrestrial origin".
It may be this solitary phrase that placed Chlumec in academic limbo.

Forget the "undocumented" comment. This is just another classified meteorite languishing in Provisional purgatory.

Unfortunately, it's a VERY interesting UNGrouped Iron.
But if a name won't be made "official", then that name can't appear in peer-reviewed journals, which in turn, means researchers will shy away from studying that meteorite, which is the definition for this particular kind of meteoritic "limbo".

-- Bob V.