[meteorite-list] Diamonds and meteorites - NWA 6871 and its "Gump Diamond"

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

Here are some much higher quality images that were taken at App State today of the diamond found in NWA 6871.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/DSC00606.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/DSC00608.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/DSC00610.jpg

I think I may have sent the last email as rich text, here is a repeat of the previous one...

I have found a rather large diamond inside the newly classified NWA 6871 ureilite meteorite (provsional)
While it may be small for a diamond, I have not seen any "holdable" diamonds from meteorites or read about them, as this one is.
Its
 only about the size of the ball in a ball point pen and weighs roughly
.025g but is a stunning sight and was found in a slice of a very shocked
 and unusual ureilite.
I though
some of you may like to see it. I am calling it the "Gump Diamond" as it
 is the shinning example that "meteorites are like a box of chocolates,
you never know what your gonna get"

Close up of diamond
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/DSCF5281.jpg

Diamond with scale