[meteorite-list] Draconid meteor shower - any reports yet?

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:53:20 +0200

Hi Bob,

my esteemed meteorite buddy Matthias just reported here that skies were overcast in South Germany, but I heard that there were some clear areas over other parts of the country where observations could me made despite a disturbing nearly full moon. More on this will surely be reported soon, and a good place to have a look at in the meantime is this:

http://www.imo.net/draconids2011

I was very lucky to see one single bright Draconid from my balcony in downtown Berlin this evening 11.39 local pm (UTC 21.39), just passing 4 to 5 degrees over the star Vega (A Lyr) for two seconds with about mag +2.8, which is one of the few brighter ones. I looked for more, but did not see more meteors, as this is a central location of a big town, with all the city lights around, and the moon interfering in addition. But it should have been sort of a good show out on the countryside....

Best,
Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------