[meteorite-list] Jim Kriegh (+ Oct 10, 2007) Gone but not forgotten!

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:01:36 +0000

KRING D.A. et al. (1998) Gold Basin Meteorite Strewn Field: The ?Fossil?
remnants of an asteroid that catastrophically fragmented in Earth?s atmosphere
(Lunar and Planetary Science XXIX, 1998, excerpts):

The Gold Basin meteorite was discovered by J.D. Kriegh while prospecting
for gold with a metal detector on 24 November 1995 in the eastern portion
of the Mojave Desert. The initial find consisted of two fragments (about 13 g
total mass) which were immediately identified as meteoritic material by one of
us ...

>From the morphology of the fragments, it was clear that they were part of a larger object. Subsequent field studies by Kriegh, J. Blennert, I. Monrad, ... have recovered more than 2000 fragments as of January 1998. Most of these fragments were found using metal detecting techniques ...

Bernd