[meteorite-list] Daring Russian Sample Return Mission to Phobos Aims For November Liftoff

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:02:05 -0400 (EDT)

Don't know the details, but a robotic arm that drills and then lifts
maximum of approximately 1cm cores and injectes them into sample
analysis chambers as well as a return craft is a very complex piece of
machinery, similar to the Russian undertaking of Luna when 170 g were
last returned similarly and successfully. Since this is not a manned
mission, the scale is much smaller than would be required to go well
over 46 million miles to Mars' moon vs. a measly jaunt in the local
neighborhood to Earth's moon which is like 0.25 million miles away.

Now thinking out loud, if what sort of hydraulics or electric motor
requiring what power at Martian dstances to the Sun would be required
on those Solar cells. It reminds me of the case of my Pickup truck
battery which doubles as my power source in a strewn field. Hook up
the inverter and running a half inch drill is quite a lot of energy and
basically I can't do it. Now, how big did you want yours and what
piledriver power source would be available with the infrastructure to
support it? Just a rhetorical question really thinking aloud. ...And
then how would you inject and seal them successfully in a sample return
capsule which needs to successfully pass through Earht's atmosphere
after the hard trip is over.

Other benefits imaginable with their mechanical arm taking smaller
samples is that, depending on it's reach, it can sample a greater
variety of materials rather than trying to figure out how an ant-sized
set up can carry something 5 times its size and tucking into the
capsule which only could work once, perhaps.

The United States, by comparison, has never returned anything more than
dust except when using the monster brawny Apollo mission. And some of
those only returned 50 kg after taking two men. One could ask why the
astronauts were put on a more restricted diet to bring back a few more
pounds of rocks!

Anyway, that is how I would try to answer this

Kindest wishes
Doug