[meteorite-list] Volcano... Or Giant Impact?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:58:26 -0500

Discovery story from 2008:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/26/uk_meteorite_impact/

Ullapool, Scotland, 1.2 billion years ago. Like most,
if not all, billion years plus craters it is buried deep,
but there is a 50-kilometer ejecta blanket.

Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullapool_bolide_impact
    "The crater, preserved under sedimentary layers of
sandstone, is currently presumed to lie under the
Minch, the waterway that separates the Isle of Lewis
in the Outer Hebrides from the north-west Highlands
of Scotland. It has been estimated that the impact
would have created a blast with the force of 145,000
megatons..."

Sterling K. Webb