[meteorite-list] "2011" Meteorite Challenge

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 04:13:10 -0400 (EDT)

Dear List:

"2011" Meteorite Challenge

For all those who would like to try their hand at hunting for
meteorites but can't get out into the field, you're invited to try a
virtual meteorite hunt in the strewn field of all meteorite names. The
prize is a token chip off Vesta - Tatahouine, of course, that beautiful
witnessed fall which is truly unique among meteorites and the rarest of
all (more on this later, but now for the hunt...), not expecting it to
be more than a gram; though it will be either sent to the winner or
some other friend or budding collector as directed by the champ. Plus
the champ receives a conjectured priceless signed certificate naming
you the champion:

                                     "METEORITIC ANAGRAMMATIST"

An anagram is simply a rearrangement of the letters of one word to form
another word. So, the idea is to hunt for a meteorite and its anagram
pairing. For example, with numbers, today is: 10/21 (or 21/10 as you
please). Rearranging the numbers we get 2011 in the spirit of Galileo,
who was a very accomplished anagrammist.

I haven't thought of a meteorite name that is a perfect anagram, nor
have I tried ... but, here's an idea:

Allende / Yelland

If only it were Eelland they would be a perfect meteorite anagram
pairing. In Spanish, Y and E are interchangeable in a certain instance
;-)

The objective of the contest is simple - get the biggest anagram you
can find. Finding one meteorite name in mixed up inside another is ok,
even though all the letters of only one are paired to the other. Rule
of common sense, but in case of difficulty with that:

For a satisfactory effort, here are a few rules:

HONOR SYSTEM - NO USE OF ANAGRAM COMPUTER PROGRAMS AND DOWNLOADING DATA
FOR THAT PURPOSE THOUGH A SPREADSHEET IS FINE. I don't know if any
cheat programs exist, but I imagine they do.

(1) Minimum of 4 letters
(2) Numbers are not included, but their letters can be used. For
example ABCDE ### can be used as simply ABCDE.
(3) Reuse of complete words or components of compound words do not
count. For example, Northeast Africa and Northwest Africa have no
value, nor would "meteor" and "meteorite" if they were valid, have any
value.
(4) The value of the meteorite anagram is simply the number of reused
letters unless it is a perfect anagram (see (6).
(5) Partial anagrams can be used where only a subset of the letters in
one meteorite's name is used to form another complete meteorite name.
For example, Boaz (NM) is a partial from Bou Azarif (Morocco). The
score would be the same for Boaz and Zaborzika (Ukraine).
(6) If all letters are used, the score is tripled. For example, the
value of (5) above is only 4. But, if there were a meteorite Zoab to
pair with Boaz, the value would be 12.
(7) The official dictionary is the Met Soc Online database, only
official meteorites are permitted.
(8)"Dry Lake", "Mountain", geographical words common to more than one
distinct locality may be dropped or used at the option of the
anagrammatist. But using entire words or compound word components will
not increase value.
(9) Lame examples not contemplated by the rules may be disqualified at
the sole opinion of the sponsor of this (me).
(10) In the case of a tie value, perfect anagrams trump first, if
neither is perfect, then the submission that shuffles letters more wins.

If there is no clear winning entry, the winner will be the entrant who
can say METEORITIC ANAGRAMMATIST ten times in the shortest interval of
time.

GOOD LUCK anyone who would like to have fun with this!

Kindest wishes
Doug