[meteorite-list] Any experts on meteorite Kiris blades

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 21:27:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike, John, List,

I was hopiing to stir up the pot a bit and then come back with a
comment like,

==> If we were facing off in 1492, give me a real Moorish Damascus
forged Vanadium steel Sabre with nanocarbide sharpness forged in a
controlled crucible against you and your old rusty Field of Heaven
laminated Sword and my first strike would lop off your brittle Campo
sword as you realized there was a ring of blood forming around your
neck... ;-)

Warfare allows no luxuries and that where the individual's weapon can
easily reverse the balance of power for those who become to lustfully
with the beautiful curves or composition of their weapon ... and forget
that there is more than one way to skin a rat.

Back in Biblical times, no doubt that meteoritical iron would be a
fantastic material vs. some pig iron if that, but credit goes where it
is deserved to those Near Eastern or Indians who showed the world and
our ancestors a lesson or two in the importance of improved steel.

There are many considerations for the performance of a good sword to
Kill Bill, and lamination is but one design element and to focus on
that to call it Damascus is historically a great insult to the Moguls,
Persians and Arabs who developed this technology. Putting a layer with
a Widmanstatten figure still in it would only be an invitation to a
beheading as the meteoritically inclined knight's head got an aerial
view of his body enough for a last amazed remark "My sword split right
along the etch pattern - we need to publish this." But the lamination
serves a purpose if you have a bunch of crappy steel to work with. If
a hard one is brittle but holds a good blade, then an absorbant soft
layer need be alternated even though it is impossible to sharpen.
Still, if you go to yourt local autoparts store and buy a $10, 50-piece
socket and ratchet wrench set made of Chrome-Vanadium steel imported
from China you can see how far the steel industry has evolved.

Back in Biblical times, no doubt that meteoritical iron would be a
fantastic material vs. some pig iron if that, but credit goes where it
is deserved to those Near Eastern or Indians who showed the world and
our ancestors a lesson or two in the importance of improved steel.

Today, this is only of academic interest since steel technology is so
well financed and so far advanced, as to not need even need better
steel at all in manycases but different more exotic alloys, and for
example, the Russian or NATO armies are not too interested in Damascus
or other obsolete yet key technological developments which have led us
to become us a cooperative technologically driven species more
importantly than survival of the strongest individual model ....

Damascus steel in its time was like having an iphone compared to your
landline adversary.

John! Beautiful images to salivate any collector!!!, the ~1621 sabre
you mention could not be forged of meteoritic iron or it would have
fallen apart. Perhaps it is a Kris process of lamination where the
meteorite etch brought out during annealing is part of the intricate
finish, but it is likely not Damascus due to the difficultioes of
working meteoritic iron.

Kindest wishes and thanks - John ---

How's this for a link when a meteoric sword was the leading edge of
technology, a millenium or two before Damascus:

During the Shang Dynasty (16th - 11th Centuiry B.C.), Chinese people
began to learn to use iron. The iron-edged bronze sword unearthed at
Liujiahe Village in Pinggu, Beijing, is one of the earliest
iron-containing objects discovered in China. The iron blade was cast
 from smelted meteorite iron, and then inlaid into the bronze handle.
The sword is testimony to the fact that people had mastered the fairly
advanced technique of iron smelting and casting iron with bronze.

 ref: http://china.org.cn/e-gudai/4.htm

Can anyone dig up an image of that one!
Doug