[meteorite-list] Triangulation

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:09:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Al,

But if Lapaz also arrived on the scene as shortly after Nininger as it
sounds, unless Nininger invited him, it is because so local tipped off
Lapaz which increases the liklihood the same was the case with
Nininger. Is there any reference there as to whether the mass was
found without any tips, as I believe the question was trying to
identify which meteorite was recovered in the field first by the person
doing the triangulation, a small fact which easily can be overlooked.

I would expect some meteorites were recovered in a similar fashion in
the end relying on tips from the locals with general triangulation
information - even as Martin points out, Lost City and I would add
P??bram years earlier, by local witnesses.

The latter 1959 fall was called P??bram, but really found at the small
population of Luhy. Perhaps if not for the triangulation this
meteorite would still be in the museum with the official name of Luhy,
had it not been for the triangulation exercise with the sky-cameras
which only lead getting the general area of the fall, but not
necessarily exactyly into the strewn field.

Kindest wishes
Doug
(A fellow Nininger admirer who appreciates your capsules online about
him and refers to them frequently)