[meteorite-list] contemporary lunar impacts

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:04:24 -0700 (PDT)

Oops, sent in richtext...
?
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Mark Bowling <minador at yahoo.com>
To: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli at paulinet.de>; "meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:58 PM
Subject: contemporary lunar impacts

Bernd,
That is a very interesting reference.? William Herschel is one of my favorite historical figures & I remember reading about his observations of lunar volcanoes in a book titled?"little known science oddities"?book?(or something like that - I still have that book somewhere in my collection).
?
It always fascinated me and when I studied geology at university, I always remembered his claim whenever we studied volcanoes or impacts.? I didn't take my geology studies quite as far as I should have and I?never took the time to research whether large impacts could produce enough melted rock to leave a glowing scar or not.? I don't know if?I ever posed that question to any of my professors, but I always got the impression that, since the moon is "volcanically dead", it wasn't very likely.? But I'd like to think it can, and that such a great observer was blessed to see such a unique event.
?
I would like to hear more from others who know about this topic.
?
I recently had a brief look at a site which discussed how amateurs (?) have been detecting meteor impacts on the moon.? It could have been the Cloudbait Observatory, Thomas Ashcraft's site?or a site in Canada??? Pretty fascinating stuff!? I look forward to getting my telescope back up and running soon:)
?
Thanks for bringing this up!
?
Clear skies,