[meteorite-list] Ad - free lunar main mass thrown in with D'Orbigny offering

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:01:46 +0000

Hello List members,

Yesterday I listed the main mass of D'Orbigny on Ebay. After so many years of keeping this large piece intact rather than breaking it up to sell it off and based on the time value of money, I had to raise the price a bit. I am certain that all of you business people will understand this action. But I also realize that collectors do not like to see prices go up. So in an effort to keep this as a deal for anyone to consider I am including as a throw in item included for free the 243 gram main mass of the lunar breccia NWA 6570. If you open the link to the Ebay listing for the D'Or. mass you can also see pictures of this wonderful lunar meteorite.

Marlin and Debbie Cilz came by the house this summer on their vacation. They were towing their travel trailer which they set up at a nearby park on the Tualatin river just a stone's throw from the house. It was a really fun visit. Debbie loves the new outdoor Mall they just finished near the house. Of course Marlin and I spent a lot of time talking meteorites. We dragged all kinds of meteorites out of the vaults and Marlin talked me into cutting a number of specimens which Patrick is now featuring on the web site and on Ebay. My favorite is the howardite NWA 6695 with it's carbonaceous inclusions as well as the gorgeous eucrite breccia NWA 6694. Marlin talked us into slicing up a 400 gram chunk of the pyroxenite NWA 6693 which turned out to be stunning! I never would have believed a stone this friable could polish up so nicely. Now I understand why Greg Hupe sliced up some of his paired mass. Laboratories all over the planet are going nuts over this enigma and finding all manner of weird anomalies within the
 slices and thin sections that we have been donating for research. This has been a super fun project for me while I sit here stuck to the sofa mending from surgery.

So, long story made shorter. Marlin had tried to convince me that he could make a 375 gram end piece of D'Orbigny look "knock down gorgeous". It was already cut many years ago. I have never cut or broken any of the pieces of the D'Orbigny. This was all done by Dr. Gerot Kurat back between 1999 and 2001 in his effort to get samples from the absolute center of this amazing oriented mass. The owner at the time; Sergio only wanted to know what it was. I think he must have figured that it was more sellable in smaller pieces. Only a very rare few of us got to see this mass before it was chopped into fragments. You can see one of the few pictures of this amazing, oriented nose cone on the Ebay page.

Well this week the end piece came back from Marlin.

Words simply cannot describe how beautiful this specimen now is. The few cut specimens that I once had were horrid looking. Now I wish that I had more to send to Marlin. Marlin is a meteorite preparation magician! This makes me want to cut and polish one side of the main mass. And even though the surface on this end piece was rough cut, only .6 gram is lost from the process, unbelievable! I'll post a picture on the list but I don't know that my humble camera can do this piece justice.

Sincere regards,

E.T.

etmeteorites at hotmail.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200668470985?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649