[meteorite-list] OT: Concorde contrail from Wales making the rounds AGAIN

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 17:49:36 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article147272.ece

I remember this scandal; you got to have a good laugh when the British
tabloid, The Sun, pokes fun at NASA for screwing up by sticking it up
as the Astronomy picture of the day and calling it an awesome fireball
(which was not claimed by Jonathan Burnett who was skateboarding and
pulled out his camera to snap a few shots and emailed them to NASA -
super reflexes!):

"NASA boffins who hailed a British lad?s photo as a dramatic snap of an
exploding meteor were exposed as duffers last night."

Classic!

With the Concorde, the whole thing was further made interesting in that
Stradling continued to explain that the Concorde fired up it main
engines right about at that point to achieve supersonic flight in the
typical flight plan, so it is possible that the latger "head" observed
in the Sunlight just happened to form with perfect lighting from that
perspective to enhance the fiery look of the photo.

Rob was tipped of by an aircraft enthusiast, Mike Stradling who
immediately explained in The Sun that it was the Concorde which
regularly flew over there and gave that appearance. Steve Salter also
got press at the time supporting the same theory. Rob checked the
airline timetable and posted there was a flight right then!

Marco, before all this was immediately skeptical of NASA's theory:

  "a sofa-sized rock came hurtling into the nearby atmosphere of planet
Earth and disintegrated...one of the more spectacular meteor images yet
recorded."

Marco explained its appearance as contrails:

"It is a bit worrying that apparently, within the team responsible for
the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day, nobody seems to have taken the
care to contact an expert meteor astronomer first before declaring this
publicly a certified 'daylight fireball' on their website," Langroek
said. "NASA did not live up to its reputation" as "the major
representative" for professional astronomers worldwide, he said."

Kindest wishes
Doug