[meteorite-list] Meteorites delivered Earth's gold

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:07:01 -0600

Quartz formed in the Earth's crust, and stayed there. It is light
(compared with gold) and doesn't have an affinity for iron. Indeed, it
continues to form, given the abundance of silicon and oxygen in the
crust and mantle. In bulk, there is no more gold in meteorites than in
the Earth. The Earth is simply more differentiated, and most of its
original gold is now in the core. What this paper proposes is that
meteorites were the source of gold (and possibly other elements) that we
find in surface material, since these elements were introduced after the
Earth differentiated.

Nothing changed meteorites (in the sense I think you mean), and we don't
find solid gold meteorites because gold is a trace element, and there
was no mechanism to concentrate it.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory